Thread: STUN disabled?

Default STUN disabled?

Looking at the new ATA preference tab in the VPanel, I see that STUN is "Disabled". Since my PAP2T is behind my router, I was under the impression that STUN was needed to traverse my router's NAT. Is this not true? Very curious.
    Russell

Default Re: STUN disabled?

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Looking at the new ATA preference tab in the VPanel, I see that STUN is "Disabled". Since my PAP2T is behind my router, I was under the impression that STUN was needed to traverse my router's NAT. Is this not true? Very curious.
    It is my understanding that if it works as it you do not have to change it but I personally turned it on for the same reason and have not had any problems.

Might take a look at my last reply here too http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1412&page=2

STUN is actually not needed by most users.

If your service works without it, we recommend leaving it off because it can cause issues with some routers.

Basically if your router supports Symmetric NAT (most do), you don't want to use STUN.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    STUN is actually not needed by most users.

If your service works without it, we recommend leaving it off because it can cause issues with some routers.

Basically if your router supports Symmetric NAT (most do), you don't want to use STUN.
    Thanks for the info Tim I went ahead and disabled it on that note.

Mine is a port restricted cone NAT and I don't have STUN server set. Everthing is fine here.

You can use jstun to figure out what kind of NAT you have. You can download it from http://jstun.javawi.de/. Download the jar file and run it has "java -jar jstun-0.7.1.jar".

Quote Originally Posted by sr98user View Post
    Mine is a port restricted cone NAT and I don't have STUN server set. Everthing is fine here.

You can use jstun to figure out what kind of NAT you have. You can download it from http://jstun.javawi.de/. Download the jar file and run it has "java -jar jstun-0.7.1.jar".
    Neat little program....Thanks..

My ATAs are behind the router and after the testing procedure, this is the result......

FINE: Node is behind a port restricted NAT.