Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DTMF tones

Default Re: DTMF tones

Quote Originally Posted by dswartz View Post
    But what people are reporting are false DTMF tones inbound, not outbound, so I am not getting how tweaking any of these settings would change that (except as Tim said, maybe a PAP2 bug?) FWIW, I don't have NAT or STUN or a PAP2 (I have a GS503 unit), and I still hear this sometimes
    At least three posters (myself in #3 on this thread,
    mrkarron in #5, and TomP in #6) heard false outbound DTMF tones listening on a non-voipo phone when a female was speaking on a voipo phone.

So what I'm wondering is: if hearing certain voice patterns in the incoming audio stream can fake the ATA into think a DTMF tone was present, wouldn't you think configuring the channel for RFC2833 should prevent that? After all, if you are telling the ATA that the other end will send DTMF either via RFC2833 or SIP INFO, it shouldn't be looking in the audio stream for DTMF, no? Or am I missing something?

Ah, my apologies then. Sounds like two different problems?

I cannot believe it
    My hearing impair works to my advantage
    J/K, I do not think I've ever heard the DTMF tone with my SPA-1001
    being a very old ATA, perhaps, it's impervious to the problem!?!
    Last edited by voxabox; 06-05-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: trigger happy
    my wish list:
    1. Intelligent Call Forwarding that detects the incoming call originated from the "forwarded" phone and rings the original destination instead
    2. Call History that makes use of CallerID/Custom CallerID+Location. Call History only shows Custom CallerId+Loc. No CNAM look up; Albeitly,it's a step in the right direction!
    3. Scheduled sim. ring with a twist (see wish #1)

After making the suggested changes, I still hear the tone(s) calling the VOIPo line from a wireline. It seems to be related to the pitch of the voice as I only hear the tones while talking to my wife or daughter. When I am using the VOIPo line, the person on the other end, using a landline, never hears them. Could this also be related to inbound vs outbound calls?

I would think you should only hear these erroneous tones outbound.
    Inbound would be the sending equipment's job.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

My suspicion, though, is that the ATA can incorrectly generate a DTMF tone and play that out the FXS port if it thinks it heard one or something?

Just for the record, I too have experienced hearing DTMF tones when my mom calls out from the VOIPo line to my POTS line at my office. It is irritating and I too would like to know how to solve it.

Also, mostly when talking to someone on a cell phone, the person on the cell phone claims to hear an echo of their own voice. These are the only problems I've had though.

Quote Originally Posted by bill875 View Post
    Just for the record, I too have experienced hearing DTMF tones when my mom calls out from the VOIPo line to my POTS line at my office. It is irritating and I too would like to know how to solve it.

Also, mostly when talking to someone on a cell phone, the person on the cell phone claims to hear an echo of their own voice. These are the only problems I've had though.
    Generally, the cell phone echo problem you mentioned might be helped by turning down the volume on the cell.

Conversely, you might ask support to turn down the transmit and receive levels in your adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by burris View Post

Conversely, you might ask support to turn down the transmit and receive levels in your adapter.
    You can do this yourself in VPANEL.