Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DTMF tones

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default DTMF tones

I have read about other people hearing DTMF tones during a call before but I have never had the problem until the last couple weeks. It's really annoying. Has anyone else noticed this more frequently lately?

Default Re: DTMF tones

Only during 2 calls with the same female friend. Always happened when she was speaking, and she wasn't hearing them, only me.

Quote Originally Posted by dswartz View Post
    Only during 2 calls with the same female friend. Always happened when she was speaking, and she wasn't hearing them, only me.
    I've heard them during more than two calls with my fiancee; she was on the voipo end, I was on a cellphone.

I thought she was hitting buttons on the phone with her cheek. She says she was being careful to not do that.

Last night she was on the phone with her sister, and her sister was hearing them as well.

Update: I've changed the DTMF Method setting (Vpanel/Features/Preferences/Advanced) to InBand and reset the adapter. Let's see if it goes away..
    Last edited by sommerfeld; 06-04-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Update with setting change.

I wish there was an answer to this..

I have never, ever heard these tones and no one on the other end has ever said they have heard them-cell/land or otherwise.

I use either my SPA2102 or the VOIPo supplied PAP2T....each one set up as they provision it.
    ATT is my DSL provider and I have a Netopia/Motorola DSL modem 2210-02-1006 along with my absolutely great ASUS WL-520GU router-STUN disabled..DTMF=auto...strict hold off time=90. Every DTMF driven access works without a flaw..

I was talking to my daughter, who was on the VOIPo phone, when I heard a DTMF tone.. she did not hear it. I was on a standard wireline. Using the PAP2T with Comcast.
    Last edited by mrkarron; 06-04-2009 at 10:11 AM.

I hear these from time to time as well. It's always when I'm on a non-VOIPo line talking to someone on my VOIPo line (usually my wife). She does not hear them, but I do. They always occur when she's talking, not when I'm talking. They're quite random. I mostly ignore them, but they can be a bit annoying at times.

Basically if you hear this, it's the PAP2 interpreting a sound/voice as DTMF. By default it essentially "listens" for a DTMF tone and if it "hears" a hint of what it thinks is one, it'll generates it. This is why it only happens to some people (the sound/voice has to be the pitch/sound its looking for. This has been going on for years with those.

If you do experience, here's what you can do.

1) Go to vPanel - Features - Preferences - Advanced and set your DTMF Method to Inband. This will require the adapter to reboot.

2) If you still have it the, go to vPanel - Features - Preferences - Advanced and set your Audio to pass through the VOIPo network (more strict with DTMF).

It should be able to be resolved 99% of the time with these two things.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    Basically if you hear this, it's the PAP2 interpreting a sound/voice as DTMF. By default it essentially "listens" for a DTMF tone and if it "hears" a hint of what it thinks is one, it'll generates it. This is why it only happens to some people (the sound/voice has to be the pitch/sound its looking for. This has been going on for years with those.

If you do experience, here's what you can do.

1) Go to vPanel - Features - Preferences - Advanced and set your DTMF Method to Inband. This will require the adapter to reboot.

2) If you still have it the, go to vPanel - Features - Preferences - Advanced and set your Audio to pass through the VOIPo network (more strict with DTMF).

It should be able to be resolved 99% of the time with these two things.
    Are there any negative effects from using these settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Xponder1 View Post
    Are there any negative effects from using these settings?
    There shouldn't be. Inband DTMF basically just sends the "signal" for the DTMF tone instead of the DTMF sound...at least the way I understand it.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Support had put me on these settings before you posted them and I am still hearing the tones. Oh, and I have rebooted the ATA several times.