Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VOIPo EAST still being routed to CENTRAL?

Default Re: VOIPo EAST still being routed to CENTRAL?

Quote Originally Posted by JimDog View Post
    Because the SIP servers set up the call between your adapter and the media gateway, too much latency could cause failed calls if something times out. It's also a good indicator of ISP problems in general.
    Maybe the most of the primary media gateways for EAST are clustered closer to the EAST servers and CENTRAL to the CENTRAL servers etc. I've never had failed calls, only audio issues, and was told by support that moving me to EAST servers should help since ping and traceroute were much better. Vonage did the same thing ... when audio was bad they would switch you to a different server.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
    Maybe the most of the primary media gateways for EAST are clustered closer to the EAST servers and CENTRAL to the CENTRAL servers etc. I've never had failed calls, only audio issues, and was told by support that moving me to EAST servers should help since ping and traceroute were much better. Vonage did the same thing ... when audio was bad they would switch you to a different server.
    I am not sure why they would do that. My media gateway does not change when my SIP server changes. I think the media gateway is selected based on the area code and exchange. Unless your audio is proxied through the SIP Server.
    Last edited by sr98user; 04-24-2010 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sr98user View Post
    I am not sure why they would do that. My media gateway does not change when my SIP server changes. I think the media gateway is selected based on the area code and exchange. Unless your audio is proxied through the SIP Server.
    Probably because the East SIP servers are connected on a private network to Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    East is a little different since it connects to Dallas via a private network so it's rock solid in that sense.
    I would think those having a more direct route (less hops/latency) to the SIP Servers in East would be preferred and cause less problems in general as opposed to connecting to the SIP servers at Central (Dallas) over the public network.
    Last edited by tritch; 04-24-2010 at 11:30 AM.

I think Tim was talking about the connection from the East SIP server to the Database servers in Texas. And West SIP server goes through public internet to Texas. But the traffic between the ATA and the SIP server (East or Central) always goes through the public internet.