Thread: BYOD Users: Testing Michigan Datacenter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: BYOD Users: Testing Michigan Datacenter

To me it isn't only about geographic location, but about network/backbone path.

Example: I've run into a lot of issues with Comcast customers experiencing connectivity issues with the main Texas server.

When I move these customers to the Michigan server, the issues go away, even though MI has more hops and a bit more latency. I even have some Comcast customers in Texas that have better results connecting to Michigan.

This could be due to its different geographic location resulting in a different path through the internet. Or it could be simply because MI has different backbone providers than the TX data center. I don't know enough about either data center to be sure. But the results suggest there's something very different between the two.

Here's a really interesting article written by an admin at Level 3 that relates to this topic... Observations of an Internet Middleman

So to me, it seems that thoughtful selection of alternate data centers that use different backbone providers might help as much, if not more, than just different geographic locations on the same backbone.

Default Re: BYOD Users: Testing Michigan Datacenter

Just keep in mind that the amount of hops or latency to these SIP servers at the data centers should have no effect on the audio of the call (or quality of the call). Unless Voipo has changed the way they handle audio (RTP stream), these SIP servers are just handling the setup/signaling of the call not the audio stream itself. Voipo’s upstream/terminating carriers are handling the audio stream, unless Voipo has specifically flagged your account to proxy the audio.

See Tim’s last 2 responses in this thread a few years ago:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r242...Washington-DC-

If this is still the case, your ISP network backbone/routing would be most important between the terminating carriers and your location, not so much to the SIP servers at the data centers. I’m talking about the audio quality of the calls. The amount of hops/latency would come into big play here.

The main concern to the SIP servers is just to have good connectivity (no extreme latency), so as not to have any call setup/signaling problems during the call. In this respect, the backbone/routing just needs to be dependable and reliable more so than bandwidth….